Not every food needs to be a diet food or low calorie.
When it comes to building muscle it isn’t about hammering lots of protein to build mass—it is about adequate calories + stimulation from training (and of course some protein). If you are a hard gainer, eating enough calories every day can feel like work. There are times when you might need a higher-calorie food that isn’t bulky or makes you feel stuffed. In this situation, ideal foods are calorie-dense and light in the stomach so you don’t feel weighed down.
These Cacao Tahini Rice Crispy Treats are a healthier spin on traditional rice crispy treats but will still satisfy that sweet tooth.
- 4 cups rice crispy cereal
- 1/2 cup cacao nibs
- 1 cup tahini
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey (less if you want it less sweet)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8×9 glass baking dish
- Parchment paper
- Combine cereal and cocoa nibs in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan on medium-low heat whisk together tahini, coconut oil, honey, and vanilla extract for one minute until smooth.
- Pour Tahini mixture over cereal. Gently mix until cereal is well coated.
- In a glass dish lined with parchment paper pour tahini on the cereal mixture. Using another dish or a glass press the cereal down firmly.
- Place in the freezer for one hour before cutting into nine equals squares.
- Wrap each individually and place in the freezer refrigerator for when you’re ready.
1 serving = 1 square
Appropriately: Calories 230, protein 5g, carbs 24g fat 13g, fiber 3g
For a step-by-step video, check out the Born Fitness Instagram